Day 14 - Talking rubbish

I was wondering what to do with my Christmas tree branches, as here they do not conform to any particular type of rubbish. After consulting with my neighbour about the various options open for disposal, such as taking the branches back to the forest complete with tinsel, she suggested putting them in the large bin behind the main building. Happy with that idea I waited till the day before collection then ventured out to the bin after dark to see if there was room. I was surprised to find the lid securely chained and padlocked on both sides. Is this unique to Germany?

I recently heard that Britain was the worst offender in Europe for excess rubbish. That may well be true but at least people do not normally chain and lock their dustbins.

Maybe this is a reflection of the world to come, where space is so valuable that even fresh air is locked away. Maybe the materialistic world will become a thing of the past, a mere phase in mankind’s development and we will then finally see an end to the convoys of trucks transporting their unnecessary goods in oversized packaging along the autobahns.

On a similar subject, I also have a problem with washing out yoghurt cartons. I think more 'energy' is wasted doing this than simply throwing them away. Whatever happened to biodegradable packaging. It is long over due for all products! In my endeavour to become an artist I have started saving unusual packaging hoping to create something interesting in the way of a sculpture. Hardly original I know, but as I have never done it before it is about time. Watch this space and I may post a picture of some strange object d'art.

I have further complaint. I bought some English 'Carrs' table water biscuits for Christmas as a treat. I like them with a bit of cheddar cheese. When I opened the cardboard packet I was surprised to find the cellophane wrapped biscuits well short of filling the box. In fact you could probably have packed in another five or six biscuits. These biscuits are expensive, especially in Germany yet they consist mainly of flour and water so cost nothing to make. Is it really necessary to con us like this? If I am not mistaken I think the box also displays the Royal seal of approval.

Comments

Popular Posts