Day 118 - Bingo

Just as I decide to go for an afternoon walk it begins to cloud over and looks like rain. After 20 minutes into the forest I turn back, although rain looks unlikely the clouds seems to have scared off the wildlife. At the edge of the village pausing at a favourite bench I see this butterfly. First seen last summer it captured my interest because it was the largest butterfly I had ever seen. Since then on the very rare ocassions that it has reappeared I have repeatedly tried in vain to photograph it. Today its sunbathing on the gravel path, perfect for a photo and makes no attempt to take off as I approach. Delighted I move my Nikon slowly towards it clicking away. An ant crawls onto its wing but is quickly tossed aside by a brief flap. I name it ‘Bingo butterfly’ for the moment until I have had a chance to identify it.
Update:
So Bingo the mysterious butterfly appears to be a Mourning cloak (Nymphalis antiopa antiopa, Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae). Sadly its battered wing tips do not make it prime example of the species. Still at least weather-beaten Bingo will always be recognisable should our paths cross again.



Comments
Post a Comment