Day 97 - Wildsee

Wildsee is a small lake 7km away in a wetland nature reserve. Never having visited it I decide to put that right today. The lake is situated at just over 900 metres altitude so it is uphill all the way. The fine spring weather makes it an enjoyable trek and by 10:30 I am already inside the Grüne Hütte enquiring about Wildsee maps and whether they sell apples or bananas. I am told they have beer and there is a large map outside. The map shows that I only have a couple more kilometres to go, so I decide to carry on and have lunch by the lake.


Looking up at the sky I am struck once again by a vapour trail that appears to be a mere hundred feet above me. Do these trails contain just water vapour or are there more sinister pollutants caught up in their fluffy white patterns. The sky is streaked with trails that spread out as they descend eventually merging together to create a cloud that envelopes the entire forest. For a moment my thoughts turn to C who lives on the hill. Puffing on his umpteenth roll-up he once told me how he preferred to remain on the hill because he could not stand the pollution and stink of exhaust gases down in the town. I am not a global warming freak, as unlike most people who claim we need to save the planet I suspect the planet can look after itself. Of course Earth may need to dispense with a few of us to keep itself in check. What we are really talking about is saving ourselves by living more sensibly. The hazy sun caused by the vapour trails does make me feel slightly uncomfortable.

The final approach to Wildsee Lake is along a one-kilometre walkway of wooden railway sleepers. It serves to keep visitors from vanishing into the marsh and protects the sensitive Eco system. At last I reach my destination and slump down on a bench to contemplate the rather unimpressive lake. Munching on a sandwich I reflect on the warning signs I passed along the way forbidding all manner of activities. As I leave I even see a sign suggesting the ducks on the lake should not really be there having been introduced by humans. Time to return to the real world. Once the flowers, insects and tourists have arrived in a few weeks it will probably be more interesting.

Comments

Popular Posts