Day 125 - Rain

Near the top and slightly left of centre is
the round hole of the woodpeckers nest

The change to wet cooler weather arrives overnight leaving us with a dull cloudy day. On the way to collecting soil I spot a woodpecker, the first time that I have been able to positively identify one since being here despite often hearing and seeing them fleetingly in flight. It appears to be a Lesser-Spotted Woodpecker, with black, white and red markings. In fact there are two of them, the ‘male’ flies off immediately alarmed by my approach while the ‘female’ remains clinging to the round entrance hole of their nest high up in a dead tree trunk. By the time I am near enough to get a reasonable photo the female has disappeared inside. Despite waiting patiently they seem to prefer to shun their chance of celebrity.

Update
.
The photo below taken a few days later suggests that it could in fact be a Great-Spotted Woodpecker.

Comments

Popular Posts