Day 233 - Stinkhorn

Popular with flies

(Phallus impudicus)
.
Muppet or mushroom?
.
The fine morning tempts me to take a morning stroll into the forest. In the shade it’s very cool and despite wearing a sweat top I feel that a coat and some long johns would not go amiss. I come across what I believe to be stinkhorn fungi, which is covered in flies and looks decidedly unappetising. However the appropriately named stinkhorn (Phallus impudicus) is edible apparently in its early stages. The other fungus above also looks rather inedible but I have yet to identify it so the homemade mushroom soup will have to wait. Both fungi types appear to enjoy the close proximately of wild strawberries. At present it feels like the transition period between summer and autumn signalling the end to any hope of summer redeeming itself. Still April was nice!

Comments

Popular Posts