Day 265 - Ants nest

Big ants nest


After a sunny weekend the fine weather continues so I take the opportunity to trek to Grüne Hütte which I have not done for some time. I arrive about 10:30 and not surprisingly the place is deserted apart from a dog and the staff manning the hut. My bottle of watered down orange juice serves as refreshment and I sit for a while on one of the wooden benches listening to the sounds of the forest. Returning home I meet many people heading for the hut probably intent on having their lunch there. Plodding along the 6km track I keep an eye open for interesting fungi but there is nothing like the quantity or variety that there was this time last year. While engrossed in my search, well off the beaten track, I do find a very big ant’s nest. Now I know ants have an exceptional power to weight ratio but take a look at some of those sticks. I think they must be working with the squirrels or else there are some very big ants inside that nest. The nest was at least a metre high. Further on I battle my way through dead and dying trees draped in cobwebs like angel hair on Christmas trees. As I turn to avoid the worst of it a perfect spider’s web appears. I take a number of photographs of the spider and its web hoping that the focus is correct this time.

Comments

Popular Posts